DAYTON, TOWN OF -- The historic town of Dayton (Chamber of Commerce +1 503 864 2221) features an 1856 military blockhouse, an 1880 Baptist church, and a pioneer cemetery. The block house (Fort Yamhill) was like a small fortress which would be occupied by troops in case of unrest. There were usually 10-15 rifle positions. This block house was moved there in 1911 from nearby Fort Yamhill in Grand Ronde where it had been since the 1840s and built by settlers fearing Indian uprising. The structure was rebuilt as a memorial to General Joel Palmer; a pioneer of Oregon, Superintendent of Indian affairs, Founder of Dayton, and donor of the park. The Joel Palmer restaurant resides in Dayton.